It’s that time of the semester again…the dreaded time known as finals. By now, students are beyond ready for the semester to end and have begun the ritual freak-out that is both completing final assignments and studying for final exams. Basically everyone on campus looks like this:
But the trick is to relax and prepare yourself enough so you don’t end up looking like Kevin McCallister over here… To prevent that, I’m going to share my tried and true finals ritual.
- Plan it out. First things first, sit down and look at your calendar and syllabus for the last month of school. Prioritize the things that are due first and plan out a list of things to tackle in order. Don’t decide to study for your final exam instead of a quiz you’ll have first.
- Catch up with readings. I know you most likely procrastinated on chapter readings (Come on, who even has time to read 2 or 3 chapters a week from the textbook?!), so to avoid last-minute cramming you need to split up the readings and tackle them well before the exam. My suggestion? Read before bed…its proven to help you remember it.
- Don’t forget to sleep..or eat. Make sure you remember to take care of yourself. If you’re the person sitting in the library all night drinking coffee, you need to go home and go to bed. Keeping with regular sleeping and eating habits keeps you healthy and not stressed out for finals.
- Keep time for yourself to relax. This is important but just make sure it doesn’t overtake your studying. I make sure I’m able to unwind with a book or some Netflix at the end of the day or if I’m feeling particularly stressed. Meditating also helps too.
- Don’t lose sight of your goal. Believe in yourself and you WILL conquer your finals. As long as you know you put the proper amount of time into preparing, I have no doubt you can do well. I’ve walked out of an exam with the usual “I so failed that” feeling, yet learned I got an A…don’t let yourself feel that way, just know you did good.
Believe me, I want you to walk out of your final exams looking like this (because I know I do):